October 10, 2013

Old Car Door Turned Shelf

While out hunting a few weeks ago, we saw this and my mouth dropped.......
The man who was selling it said it was from a 20's or 30's vehicle,  I knew it needed to go home with us.  
My grandma and I talked about it and we decided to buy it!  We had no idea what we were going to do with it but we loaded it up in the truck.  When we got home, I thought this needed to be in a MAN CAVE!  In order to be in a men's den it needed a shelf.  I pictured it hanging on a wall with a fine bottle of wiskey and a tumbler glass.

My husband added a 1x 6 and then a 2x2 to stabilize the shelf.  We stained the shelf, gave the body a light sanding and then gave the whole thing a coat of polycrylic.  It was ready to head to Paris St. Market.  We set it out and an older man came by looked at it and about fifteen minutes later he was back, he bought it!
I guess you could say we are ecelectic buyers.  We like to mix it up and get items that will appeal to different buyers.  We have our main style but adding some one-of-a-kind pieces like this makes our jobs fun!
 Would you have bought it?  If so, what would you have done with it?
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. I love this!
    I would have bought it. (if money were no object) ...
    What would I do with it? I'd hang it near the car park... and make a gate out of it!
    Oh yes...and two doors would be even better...for a double gate. :)
    I like your shelf.
    via MMS {FFF}
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever! Good eye for something unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool piece! I would have bought it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's Donna! I thought of her as soon as I saw this piece!

    ReplyDelete